46 years of presence in Formula 1
ELF's story can be traced back to 1939. It was owned by French government at the very beginning and transferred to a privately owned corporation in 1994. In 2000, ELF merged with Total which is now the fifth largest oil company in the world and an expert in lubricants.
- 1968: first appearance of ELF in Motorsport with Matra in F1
- 1977: ELF and Renault introduced turbocharged engine to Formula 1
- 1977-1985: Renault Team and ELF won over 15 victories, using the turbocharged engine
- 1989: Renault and ELF brought to Formula 1 racing with a new naturally-aspirated engine, the 3.5l. V10
- 2005-2006: Drivers' Championships and Team Championships with Fernando Alonso
- 2010: Renault engines and ELF technology again: Ninth Formula Team Championship